Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Matter and Motion - Unit Overview

As we transition from Rocks and Minerals to Matter and Motion, we are beginning to guide our learners into the "nano" world. Mastery of concepts related to things like atoms and molecules is tough for 6th grade learners.

Created from the Ohio State Science Standards, our 6th grade students should be able to do the following by the end of the year:


  • I can illustrate what an atom is.
  • I can explain each atom takes up space and has mass and is in constant motion.
  • I can support that mass is the amount of matter in an object.
  • I can describe and measure mass, volume, and density.
  • I can distinguish between mass and weight.
  • I can explain elements are made up of one type of atom and that molecules are made up of two or more atoms bonded.
  • I can explain compounds are composed of two or more different elements.
  • I can justify each element and compound has properties, which are independent of the amount of the sample.
  • I can explain everything is composed of atoms
  • I can identify the states of matter and distinguish between their properties.
  • I can interpret changes of state and how their state is related to the motion of their molecules.
  • I can summarize that changes state do not change the structure of atoms or molecules.
  • I can deduce that thermal energy is a measure of motion.
  • I can prove the amount of mass does not change during a change of state.
  • I can distinguish between kinetic and potential energy.
  • I can classify all forms of energy as either kinetic or potential.
  • I can defend how motion is affected by speed and direction.
  • I can graph an object’s position and speed as a function of time.

It is extremely hard to understand that which they can not see!

I attempt to help them with the transition by talking about "zooming in" to a smaller scale of the rocks and minerals. We discuss how certain parts of the rock cycle create rocks and minerals that are more dense or tightly compact than others.

We will go back to that thought when we begin to explore density.

Before we tackle density, we talk briefly about states of matter and how they are related to the movement of molecules. Movement of molecules with 6th grade learners is most easily explained by looking at Sound.

Soundation:
Learners used the web application available at http://soundation.com to create their own music as they explored how sound waves travel and can be manipulate with pitch and amplification.

The visual representation of movement provided with apps like these allow us build a baseline of common knowledge that can be referred back to frequently over the course of the unit.



Make your own Speaker...Out of a cup!
Learners continued to explore the movement of energy by creating their own speakers with materials you can typically find laying around your house. Most learners were successful in creating a working model.


From here, we can move on to other forms of energy transfer!


No comments:

Post a Comment